Application Programming Interface (API)
What is LuxSci's API?
LuxSci's application programming interface allows you, the account
administrator, to write programs or scripts, residing anywhere on the
Internet, which can perform account administration tasks such as updating,
creating, and querying users. The API can be accessed securely using Web
There are two types of API: An "Account API" for performing
administrative tasks, and a "User API" for accessing user-level data. The
Account API is available to any account for no additional
charge -- simply ask our support staff to enable your account for
access if you are interested.
Web Services: LuxSci's web services API uses SOAP, a
widely used web service protocol that employs XML. The use of SOAP makes
it easy to send and receive complex data types, while maintaining
flexibility. Many programming languages have excellent SOAP toolkits that
allow for easy integration of web services into existing frameworks. Some
of the more popular toolkits are SOAP::Lite for Perl, NuSOAP and
Pear::SOAP for PHP, Axis for Java, and .NET web services for VB.net.
LuxSci supports both "RPC" and "Document Literal" web services encodings
-- so you can use the mechanism that works most seamlessly with your
CGI Account API: LuxSci also supports access to its
Account API via secure HTTPS CGI form posts.
What can I do with the Account API?
You can employ the Account API to perform the following functions:
- Create new users
- Update users' contact information
- Enable, disable, and delete users
- Change users' passwords
- Change users' email forwarding settings
- Create, Delete, and List user email autoresponders
- Change users' individual disk space limits
- Copy WebMail preferences from one user to another
- Add and remove services such as POP, IMAP, SMTP, and Spam/Virus
Filtering from users
- Set and remove various "flags" from users which determine things
such as if the user should be automatically deleted or disabled if s/he
doesn't login for "a long time"
- Download user details including password, contact information, last
login date and time, services accessible, and much more.
- Create new domains in your account
- Delete domains from your account
- Update domain properties and catch-all email aliases.
- Get a report summarizing the status of all of the domains in your
- Create email aliases in your domains
- Delete email aliases from your domains
- Get a report summarizing the status of all email aliases, user email
forwarding rules, and catchall aliases in your domains.
Uses for LuxSci's Account API
You can employ the API to:
- Perform bulk domain, user, and/or email alias creation
- Perform bulk or automatic updates to users.
- Synchronize passwords between LuxSci and your own web site or
- Create your own web page on your web site that will handle the
signup of new users and which will use the API to automatically create
these new users in your LuxSci account.
- Create scripts that will automatically allow users to login to
LuxSci if they have already been logged into your site [i.e. single sign
- Retrieve reports on users, domains, and aliases for arbitrary
analysis on your side.
If you have any questions about LuxSci's Account API please contact our
What can I do with the User API?
The User API currently supports only access to user address book,
calendar, task, and Private Labeled Theme information. The User API is
accessible to all users.
You can employ the User API to perform the following functions:
- Create new address book, calendar, task, and notes WebAides
- Retrieve information about all WebAide address books, notes, calendars,
or task lists accessible to a specific user
- Query and retrieve address book, note, calendar, or tasks list entries from a specific WebAide
- Delete some or all entries from a specific address book, note, calendar, or task list
- Add or update entries in a specific address book, note, calendar, or task list (supports matchback
to identify duplicate entries)
- Download, add, and update SecureLine information for address book recipients -- Escrow questions and answers,
PGP certificates, and S/MIME certificates.
- Retrieve user-specific Private Labeled Theme information such as:
- WebMail company name and URL
- Names of the POP, IMAP, SMTP, and FTP servers the user should
- Names and email addresses of the administrative and technical
support contacts for WebMail
You must have the user's LuxSci username and password in order to access
the User API for the user in question.
Uses for LuxSci's User API
You can employ the API to:
- Import, Export, and Synchronize address book, note, calendar, or task data
- Query address books, notes, calendars, or task lists
- Dynamically private label other programs and web sites based
on the data being used to private label this particular user.
If you have any questions about LuxSci's User API please contact our