Two-Factor logins require users to
- Enter their username and password properly (the 1st factor)
- Authenticate a second way (e.g. by entering a code delivered to their mobile phones).
Use of two-factor authentication ensures that even if a user’s password is discovered, guessed, or captured, a malicious user still cannot gain access to the user’s account … at least not without also having access to the second factor.
Two-factor authentication significantly enhances the security of any system:
- LuxSci staff use it for all administrative actions both through our web interface and at the server command line.
- It is required for PCI compliance
- It is good for HIPAA compliance
LuxSci has long offered a simple and effective Two-factor option for its web interface. Now, LuxSci also supports DuoSecurity Two-Factor authentication with its web interface. This option provides many advanced user and administration features and is very cost-effective (usually free) for small organizations.