Two-Factor logins require users to
- Enter their username and password correctly (the 1st factor)
- Authenticate a second way (e.g., by entering a code delivered to their mobile phones).
Using two-factor authentication ensures that even if a user’s password is discovered, guessed, or captured, a malicious user still cannot gain access to the user’s account … at least not without also having access to the second factor.
Two-factor authentication significantly enhances the security of any system:
- LuxSci staff use it for all administrative actions through our web interface and the server command line.
- It is required for PCI compliance
- It is appropriate for HIPAA compliance
LuxSci has long offered a simple and effective two-factor option for its web interface. Now, LuxSci also supports DuoSecurity Two-Factor authentication. This option provides many advanced user and administration features and is cost-effective (usually free) for small organizations.