Advantages of LuxSci/Comodo TLS Certificates over Go Daddy
We are often asked by customers why they should pay more for an SSL certificate from LuxSci/Comodo instead of purchasing from a third party provider like GoDaddy. I.e., what justifies the added expense?
There are two key considerations in choosing Comodo SSL certificate from LuxSci:
- The recognition of an SSL certificate from Comodo
- A web site seal from Comodo that you can place on your site
- The benefit of LuxSci managing the order process, installation and subsequent SSL renewals.
The recognition of an SSL certificate from Comodo
There are many advantages to using SSL certificates from Comodo.
- Highly Credible Online Security For Professional Level Websites That’s Fast, Reliable and Cost-Effective – Comodo is a highly respected and established Web Trust compliant security organization. If your website has high transaction volumes, or if you are a hosting provider with a Service Level Agreement (SLA), then Comodo can provide highly trusted professional and enterprise-class certificates.
- Highly trusted and highly credible SSL Certificates – Comodo is the largest Certification Authority in the world.
- Comodo products are most compatible with Mobile devices with high ubiquity levels.
- Compatible with 99.9%+ of all browsers and web servers
- Site Seals – Comodo site seals are an effective way to make sure your customers know your site has the stamp of approval from a leading global Certificate Authority for secure e-business transactions. Their patented smart seal technology provides fast, reliable and user-friendly web site identity authentication, and instant proof to your customers that your site can be trusted.
- Comodo Trust Seals are dynamically-generated when someone accesses your site, and display a live time and date stamp and/or your company name. Users can click on a site seal to display additional verification information. Like Comodo SSL Certificates, these enhance your customer’s confidence with the prestige of the Internationally recognized Comodo brand name.
The benefit of LuxSci managing the entire process
While you can provide LuxSci with your own SSL certificate after you purchase it from a third party provider, we recommend that LuxSci purchase your SSL certificate to ensure the quickest and easiest setup experience:
- We will purchase a TLS certificate from our partner Comodo for you.
- We will take care of gathering all needed information from you and will coordinate with Comodo.
- We will make sure that the certificate does not expire on you from year-to-year by tracking the certificate and coordinating renewals with you.
- Your certificate will:
- Use 2048-bit keys
- Support 128-bit and 256-bit encryption
- Have the highest degree of browser compatibility available
- Be very well trusted by your end users as it will be issued by Comodo
- We will bill you for the certificate — so you pay us for your certificate as part of your normal LuxSci invoice.
- You have a single point of contact for support and billing for your services — LuxSci.
- Certificate ordering, renewal, and maintenance will be taken care of by LuxSci.
What about Go Daddy? They are “so inexpensive!”
- Trust? Most people likely associate Go Daddy with their recent string of sexually-explicit SuperBowl commercials. Is this the first thing you want your customers thinking of when dealing with trusted online security?
- Validation? The majority of GoDaddy’s certificates are domain-validated. They only validate that the domain is registered by performing a WHOIS lookup. If it is, the certificate is automatically sent to the email address listed for the domain. (I.e. this is not very secure)
- The bulk of Comodo products that LuxSci sells are organization-validated products where they perform a full verification of your business, the ownership of your domain, and your authority to apply for the certificate. Their authentication procedures provide the highest level of trust in the industry (next to EV). Go Daddy’s do not..
- Go Daddy’s certificates require an intermediate certificate to be installed for their use. This is because Go Daddy is down the food chain from upper level, more trusted certificate vendors. The validity of all Go Daddy certificates depends on this chain of trust remaining in place and all dependent business relationships remaining unchanged!
- Go Daddy’s core business is as a domain registrar and offers SSL as an add-on. SSL has always been a core business of Comodo and will remain so. SSL will get less attention at GoDaddy.
Consider the following when providing your own SSL certificate:
- You have to order the certificate yourself.
- You are responsible for ensuring that your certificate does not expire and you must take the initiative for renewing it.
- If there are any issues with your SSL certificate, you must deal with the support from your third party provider yourself.