Automatic Email Notices of Failed Logins
To further improve account security, LuxSci has added an automated alert system to notify users of failed logins to their accounts. These include:
- Failed logins to WeMail, POP, IMAP, SMTP, and FTP
- Failed message sending over SMTP due to limits exceeded or other issues.
The alerts are sent out within 5 minutes of the failure event. Successive alert digests are sent out no more frequently than once/hour and are quickly rate limited to once/day for situations where the failures keep coming (we don’t want to flood people’s mail boxes with alerts, but we also want to be timely).
The alerts include a digest of all failures since the last alert and show:
- The date and time of the login failure in the user’s preferred timezone
- The service involved
- The IP address of the person who failed to login
- Additional information, if applicable
They are sent to the user’s primary contact email address. These alerts should allow:
- Users to be notified of others trying to maliciously login to their accounts
- Users to be informed of programs that are trying to login to their accounts but failing. I.e. programs that were setup and forgotten about, but which are still running and failing.
Users who do not wish to receive these failure alerts can disable them in their Preferences area under the “My Preferences > Security & Privacy > Behavior” area.