Collaboration: New Improved Task Management
LuxSci has re-written its web-based task management interface from the ground up to provide users with a fast, modern, featureful experience. The WebAides Tasks user interface now matches that of WebMail, Address Books, and Calendars in AJAX-based Web 2.0 speed, data caching, and usability. The major changes that come along with these user interface enhancements include:
- Customizable Views: The task list view is fully customizable by the user. The user can specify the display order, relative size of columns, and which columns are displayed. This can all be done via the mouse in a visual way (i.e. by dragging and dropping).
- Caching: Task information is remembered in your browser so that it is fast to revisit your task lists.
- Searching and sorting of tasks events happens in the web browser and is thus instantaneous.
- Drag and Drop: Tasks can be dragged and dropped to copy or move them to other task lists.
- Copy and Move: New commands allow users to copy or move selected tasks to a new or existing task list
- Quick New: Simple tasks can be added very quickly using the "Quick New" feature.
- Consolidated Views: Users can view the tasks from any arbitrary set of task lists at the same time by selecting multiple lists from the tree of available task lists.
- Color Coding: Tasks are color-coded based on the tag(s) that apply to them.
- Hot Keys: The task list interface has added "hot keys" to make it faster to execute certain commands.
- Cross-Browser: The user interface, like the rest of WebMail, works in FireFox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, and Google Chrome.
- Users can subscribe to and unsubscribe from task lists directly from the main interface.
- It is now easy to search by the user assignment and the completion status of tasks.
- Adding comments to tasks is simple.
- Attachments of any size (up to 50MB) can now be added to any task by any WebAides-licensed user who has permission to edit the entry.
- Users can quickly edit an entry by double clicking on it.
- Tasks are now (in the full portal) displayed using the timezone of the viewer’s local computer, whereas tasks are made based on the timezone in the user’s preferences.
- Tasks, as always, can also be imported/exported via CSV files and can be synchronized with Outlook using LuxSci’s WebAideSynch plugin (WebAides license required). Licensed users can create new task lists directly from the main interface.
Some non-user interface task management features that are completely new include:
- Assignment Notification — You can have the people to whom you assign tasks be sent a short email notification to let them know that the task has been assigned to them.
- Completion Notification — You can have an email notification sent to you or a list of addresses of your choice when a task is marked complete. This can be enabled and configured on a per-task basis.
- Completion Tracking — Optionally keep a permanent record (until the task is deleted) of who has marked it complete and when. This audit trail is visible to anyone who can view the task.
- Mark complete through today – Quickly catch up on recurring tasks that you have not done, but not updated in a while.
- Delete old completed tasks – Delete all completed tasks before a date and time that you specify, thus allowing you to easily clean up your task list.
- Printable List View — Generate printer friendly versions of any of your task lists (sorted and filtered with only the columns you want to see).
Additionally, the tasks interface in the Xpress portal has been revised to work well on mobile devices such as iPhones.
- The interface is simplified and very intuitive.
- Advanced searches, assignment of entries, and tagging are no longer supported in the Xpress interface.
- The Xpress interface does support attachments.
- The Xpress interface will color-code entries based on existing tags.
All of these new features are available to all existing and new customers of LuxSci who have a WebAides license (or who have access to tasks shared with them by other licensed users).