Reports: Web Site Analytics and Logs at LuxSci
LuxSci captures log files and creates automatic basic web site analytic reports for its web hosting customers. This article provides an overview of what reports are available, where to access them, and recommendations for getting more advanced web site analytics.
Standard Web Site Analytics Reports
LuxSci automatically creates standard site analytics reports for all hosted web sites. This is done by capturing all of the raw web site access logs and passing them through the open source “webalyzer” system. This produces a series of reports that are updated nightly. They include:
- Daily and monthly access summaries (hits, files, bytes)
- Hourly aggregate usage
- Most frequently accessed site pages and objects
- Top IPs and hosts visiting your site
- Top URLs referring people to your site
- Top web browsers accessing your site (by user agent)
- Access by country
You can view your reports in the LuxSci web portal by going to “Account > Administration > [web site tab] > [select a site] > Reports > Access Statistics”.
Administrators can enable and disable generation of these reports using the “Compute Web Site Statistics” checkbox in the web site’s “Global Settings” area.
More Advanced Analytics
Getting your Raw Logs
LuxSci does capture raw Apache access and error logs for your web sites. For the sake of simplicity and storage optimization, these are not delivered to you by default. You can enable access to your raw logs under your web site’s “Global Settings” area (“Account > Administration > [web site tab] > [select a site] > Configuration > Global Settings”).
- Deliver Your Web Access Logs: Enable/disable delivery of your raw access logs
- Capture Your Web Error Logs: Enable/disable access to your raw error logs
Raw Access Logs
If you enable delivery of your raw access logs, then these will be collected and delivered to the “logs” FTP directory of your web site on a nightly basis. Separate log files are generated for each of your web sites. These raw logs are based on the NCSA extended/combined log format with the addition of some extra fields such as: query string, download time, cookie information.
Raw Error Logs
Enabling access to raw error logs creates a symbolic link in your “logs” FTP directory to a custom error log file which is updated in real time with any and all error logs for all web sites in your account. You can look here to see any recent errors that may have been generated by your web sites.
Other Reports Available for Web Sites
You can also find the following reports for each of your web sites and your web hosting account:
- Email Summary: Summary and Detail reports of email messages sent by your web site scripts.
- Email Tracking: Under the “My Reports” area for the administrative user that owns a web site, you will find reports on “Sent Email > From Web Sites”. These reports provide detailed information about every message sent from each site and its delivery status. These reports are similar to those available for messages sent via SMTP.
- Bandwidth: Bandwidth (bytes downloaded) by each web site for the current month and total monthly bandwidth used across all web sites.