What’s Happening With My Account? – Account Status Reports
Customers often want to know what is happening and why – and rightly so!
Many of the Support requests we receive involve tracking down information in logs and determining why certain things happen the way that they do. Invariably, there is no real “issue”, just a need to clarify what is happening and why so that email filters, program settings, web site marketing, and other factors can be adjusted properly.
Over the years, LuxSci has frequently added self service reporting tools to its user and administrative interfaces. Customers are empowered to determine for themselves on their own time schedule many things that were previously the purview of senior Support.
In this article, we review many of the reporting options available to customer accounts … as most people, even existing long time customers, may not be aware of the full scope of what is actually available to them.
Administrators and User Reports
Regular account users can access many different reports (many of which are discussed below) about their own personal account. These are all located under “Account > My Reports” in the LuxSci user interface.
Administrators can view all these same reports for themselves in the same location, and for any of the users in the account (that they have permission to manage) in the user administration area – under “Account > Account Administration > [Users Tab] > [Select the user] > Reports”. So, when discussing a user-level report, keep in mind that these are available to both the administrators and the users themselves.
Login Success and Failure Tracking
It is fundamentally important to know about logins to your own account. A history of successful logins can tell you:
- When you logged in and from where (what IP address)
- If someone unauthorized is logging in as you
- If a legitimate program is logging as you but at an unintended time
- If there is a correlation between your logins and unexpected behavior (e.g. POP logins and email being deleted after download)
- If someone is trying to guess your password, what IP address they are using, etc. (LuxSci does rate limit failed login attempts and will auto-block IP addresses for abusive behavior).
- If you have changed your password and some programs are still using the old/incorrect one.
- If you cannot login properly using some program or device … if it’s just that the password is wrong or if there is some other factor causing the login to fail.
- WebMail: with the date, time IP address, web browser used, and more
- POP and IMAP: with the date, time, IP address, and if a secure connection was used
- SMTP: with the date, time, if a secure connection was used, and information about the messages sent
- FTP/SCP/SFTP: with the date, time, IP address, and if a secure connection was involved
- WebMail: date, time, web browser, and IP of the failed login (e.g. bad password)
- POP, IMAP, SMTP, FTP, SFTP, SCP: with the date, time , IP address, and reason for the failure
Additional Reports Available
There are many other reports available and we will be discussing them in detail in successive posts. Some of these include:
- Tracking email messages sent and their delivery status
- Feedback loop reporting on messages sent
- SecureLine Escrow reporting and message access auditing
- Tracking email autoresponder responses sent
- Web site analytics
- FTP and File manager usage
- SecureForm analytics
- Disk space usage reporting
- Users, Domains, and Email Aliases
- Security Audits
- Reports: Tracking Sent Email Messages – Messages Sent and Delivery Status
- Sent Email Delivery Tracking Reports Have Arrived
- Protect your LuxSci Account with Two-Factor Authentication and Other Barriers
- Automatic Email Notices of Failed Logins
- Want to Login to LuxSci from your Mobile Phone with a Single Touch?