Smarthostingis accomplished when you connect your existing email server to one of LuxSci's email servers. This way all outbound email, sent by your users, is relayed though LuxSci before it reaches the Internet.
Individual users who employ WebMailor an email program like Outlook or Thunderbird (which is configured to connect directly to LuxSci) are not smarthosting. Rather, they are using WebMail or direct SMTP for outbound email.
Why use smarthosting?
- Your ISP will not allow your mail server to send outbound email, or limits
the quantity of email that can be sent.
- The IP address(es) granted to you by your ISP have a poor reputation; resulting in your outbound email being considered spam-like by recipients (even with public cloud servers)..)
- To hide the IP address of your mail server using
IP address masking.
- To ensure all outbound email is Archived,
or secured for HIPAA compliance.
- ...the reasons go on and on
Simple Smarthosting with High Volume Email
If your needs are simple -- you still need a good mail relay that won't restrict your sending capacity. You might also need IP address masking. We suggest LuxSci's High Volume email service.
- Fees based on the number of recipients your users send to over the course of a month.
- Get a username and password
- Configure your server to relay your email though LuxSci; using that username and password for authentication (with SSL or TLS support).
- Specify the addresses or domains that your users send from.
- ... that's it!
If your smarthosting needs are complex (e.g. involving encryption,
compliance, tracking, etc.), you would:
- Purchase a Premium High
Volumeemail account with the appropriate services and number of users needed (one per sender being smarthosted).
- Setup these users on LuxSci and configure them as needed.
- Specify one of them as a "smarthosting" user.
- Configure your email server to relay outbound email through LuxSci using this special "smarthosting"
user's username and password.
- The mail will be relayed as if the LuxSci user in your account whose username matches the "from" address
of the sent message was the sender.
Advanced smarthosting allows outbound processing and tracking of messages with rules and settings. These are specific to each individual user.