Case in point – A medical lab that needs/wants to send test results to patients via email. This is:
- Bulk email … possibly 100s or 1000s of messages/day
- Transactional … every message is important and unique.
- ePHI … every message contains private health information governed by HIPAA
Customers that have approached us looking for solutions for scenarios like this and others (e.g. medical news, appointment updates and reminders, etc.) have had problems managing this kind of electronic messaging because:
- Their own ISPs put limits on the maximum number of messages they can send in a day
- Most email marketing solutions and bulk mailing solutions do not have a HIPAA bulk email compliance component and thus are completely useless for sending ePHI of any kind.
- All messages must be encrypted in a HIPAA compliant way, making in house solutions difficult, especially when combined with #1.
Read the rest of this post »