Improved Online File Management and Sharing
LuxSci has revised its “File Manager” tool, which provides a secure web-based interface for managing files in a user’s “FTP Space”. This tool is a good alternative to FTP when additional security and auditing is required or for file access without the need for a third party FTP (or SFTP) program is desirable.
The enhancements to the LuxSci File Manager include:
- Administrative Access: Administrators can now view, manage, upload, and download files in their users’ accounts directly from the Account Administration user interface. No need to login as the user or have access to the user’s password. (Note that for privacy reasons, LuxSci Support staff have no access to download or view the content of any files via the File Manager.)
- Ownership Management: Toggle file and directory ownership between the user and the web server, with recursive changes supported. This is very useful for PHP web sites which usually run as the “Web Server”.
- Improved Delete: The “Delete” operation is now always recursive and can delete files and directories owned by the “Web Server”.
- Improved Interface: The user interface has been improved to look and perform better, and provide additional details.
- Auditing: All actions performed by any user in the File Manager are now recorded. This includes any activity by Account Administrators and Support staff. Each user’s “Activity Auditing Reports” area now includes two additional reports:
- All activity by any user on the specified user’s file space
- All activity by the specified user on any users’ file space.
These changes make the File Manager much more powerful, more useful for file sharing, and usable by anyone requiring a detailed audit trail.
In the future, LuxSci plans on augmenting its File Manager with such features as:
- Bulk file upload and download (similar to how you can upload/download attachments in bulk to/from email messages now).
- Sharing of directories between users and groups of users (analogous to how email folders can be shared).
- File Manager Now Supports Bulk Uploads and Downloads
- Simplified FTP/SFTP Management of WordPress, Joomla, and other CMS-based web sites
- File Drag and Drop for WebMail, SecureLine, and File Manager
- Encryption and Auditing for MySQL Databases under HIPAA
- SecureForm: API and Auditing Updates for Database Storage