Safe Family Email with LuxSci Parental Controls
LuxSci’s email services are versatile, as well as secure. We offer solutions to many problems and meet a diverse assortment of specialized needs. One important niche well-served by LuxSci’s flexible and highly configurable system is that of parental control — specifying exactly what email should be sent and received by children and keeping tabs on that email, while not restricting the parent’s (administrator’s) email usage.
This article highlights the many options available to configure an account for parental control. As each parent’s requirements differ, each parent may wish to choose a different combination of settings. No problem! LuxSci is infinitely configurable.
You should start by ordering a LuxSci email hosting account with your own domain name (i.e. your-family.com) and Premium Email Filtering. Once you have a LuxSci email account, and have created users for your family members, you can proceed with the following configuration ideas to make your account family friendly and safe.
Capturing: Monitor your children’s email
LuxSci provides inbound and outbound email capturing. This allows you to send silent copies of all email sent and received by the users in your account to a specific email address for monitoring (or backup/archival) purposes. If you would like to monitor the messages sent and received by your children, you should enable this.
We recommend sending the copies of the email to a separate user in your account (or elsewhere on the Internet) dedicated for this purpose. If you have all of the copies sent to yourself, it may be confusing identifying which email is which. Alternatively, you can set up custom email filters to identify the captured email and save it to separate email folders for analysis at your leisure.
Once this feature is enabled, all email sent and received by all non-exempted users will be sent to your monitoring email address — so you can see what is going on.
Sender Restrictions: Who can send email to your children?
If you would like to restrict your children so that they can receive email ONLY from an approved list of addresses (or domains), you should enable the Sender Restriction feature. This is commonly used so that the children can only receive email from other family members and approved friends…. and no one else!
Recipient Restrictions: Who can your children send email to?
If you would like to restrict your children so that they can only send email TO specific addresses/domains, then you should enable the Recipient Restriction feature. This is commonly used so that the children can only send email to other family members and approved friends…. and no one else!
No Eavesdropping or Identity Theft
To protect everyone in your account from eavesdropping and identity theft, you should force all users (kids and adults) to use SSL when using LuxSci’s services for sending and receiving email and using WebMail. Not sure why? Read: The Case for Email Security. This feature is enabled by default for all new accounts.
Hide Your Children’s Location
LuxSci has a special feature of our WebMail and our outbound email (SMTP). This is called “Anonymization“. It effectively removes any information from outbound email messages that could be used to trace the location of the sender (your child). This is highly recommended for keeping predators from discovering where your child is located.
Configure your Premium Email Filtering
This step is key — optimize your Premium Email Filtering settings to restrict the flow of specific kinds of unwanted inbound email.
Next, exempt the adults from the restrictive settings that should not apply to them.
Finally, if you do not want your kids to get “Quarantine Reports” listing the subjects of all of the spam messages that were stopped:
What have I done?
By following these rules you have:
- Protected your kids from eavesdropping and identity theft (at least as far as email goes).l
- Ensured that your kids can only send and receive email from approved addresses.
- Made sure that you can review the messages that your kids send and receive.
- Made sure that all messages are filtered for unwanted content, spam, viruses, and attachments.
- Made sure that unwanted messages are quarantined instead of denied so that you can review and release them to your kids on a case-by-case basis — in case there is a legitimate message that is caught by the strict rules.
- Made sure that even if a spam message gets though, no pornographic pictures are displayed and no links can be clicked on.
- Made sure that the adults in your family are minimally affected by the restrictions on the kids. Adults can do what they need to do … and the kids can do what you feel is appropriate.
If you have questions on how these controls could apply to you, or if you have other requirements that you would to review with LuxSci so that we can suggest customized solutions to meet your particular needs, please contact Sales.
- Better Forged Email Filtering with Improved SPF Support
- Email Identity Protection and LuxSci Email Hosting
- Flatten Multi-Part Messages into Plain Text
- New: Restrict Which Email Addresses Your Users can Receive Email From
- Introducing Proofpoint and Sonian to Replace McAfee for Premium Filtering and Archival